Thursday, 21 March 2013

The dog, & best (dog) article ever.


Enclosed is a link to an article that I have read several times in the last few years.
The first paragraph will catch your attention,the article as a whole will have you saying 
                                                                     *"aha".

 *a moment of sudden realization, inspiration, insight, recognition, or comprehension


http://suzanneclothier.com/the-articles/he-just-wants-say-hi

MY FAVOURITE LINES

 I encourage handlers to be quite active in protecting their dog - whether that means quietly walking away to a safer area, or, when that's not possible, literally stepping in physically to present the first line of defense. Stepping in between two dogs is a classic act of leadership. Dogs do it with other dogs all the time, so this same gesture coming from a human leader is understood and appreciated.


In close quarters where there really aren't any options for moving away, shield your dog with your own body.
(Remember, stepping between dogs is an act of protective leadership.)

                                                                                                    suzanne clothier





What this means for me: 

I will now feel more confident and less apologetic when I request that the person with the little screaming dog to please "go away". They tug and pull back on their dog's leash in fear? even though my pup is in a nice "sit" and focusing on me. 
I did not walk up to you. You approached me. I was ignoring you and your hyper-active critter for a good reason. I am teaching my dog to look to me for guidance. You, on the other hand are frantically running after your dog as he pulls you into chaos.  

It was better yesterday when pup and I met a Great Dane. That dog's handler and I were on the same wave length in micro-seconds. We had our dogs in a nice sit, focusing on us,ignoring each other and absolutely no hyper activity at all. A gentle nose to nose touch was allowed when they were not excited.
However the dog hating Cockatiel screaming and fluffing his feathers in the background was quite interesting. We ALL ignored that particular bedlam! 


Good dogs.


sorry can't change my font sizes now- so this will have to do.                                         'night


 (guess I was pretty impressed with the Great Dane,mentioned twice in 2 days)  



                    

1 comment:

Hawkeye BrownDog said...

Hi Y'all!

My Human has read this article. I've had loose dogs race up to me when I'm training in the open fields around the river. She uses a whistle sit for me while racing to get between me and the dog.

We used to do the sit and focus while the entire obedience class walked circles around us, then we'd be walking in the circle around another dog. It was a important lesson learned in basic obedience.

People think they don't need obedience, but you need the other dogs to learn how to behave no matter what happens.

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Post a Comment