Tuesday, 6 November 2012

vomiting in the car and a life saved

First I will say that we are over our disappointment of not receiving Pipsqueek for the month of November. It was out of our hands and the trainer's oversight was the culprit.
I had a fabulous post about vomiting in the car (yes,moi) however my magical,sloppy keyboarding deleted it -swear I didn't press delete. I am sure I pressed "enter".
          and the trainer thinks she called me                                                                                         sigh  

Life goes on.   It sure was good you didn't hear the  V.I.T.C. (see title)  details and lucky that we had no pup with us.  Lucky for you and for pup, good day for both.

Today my gratefulness comments include:
private, well stocked public bathrooms.
toilet paper
large retail stores with many clean bathrooms
my kind husband (he is kind, just............so negative)
extra strong sturdy retail plastic bags  (vomit, tie and toss)                            lol
the snow tires that just had been installed on the car made for a much softer ride
traffic that flowed like a dream
the end of my son's bed made for a good "lie-down"
his down duvet and a blast from his ceramic heater took away some of my chills
ginger ale and soda crackers
benign, pleasant boxed soups
my own bed
gravol
speedy testing done at my doc's office (results pending)
ah, so you read the details anyway!


However, I am even more grateful that last Friday evening at work my co-workers and I responded as a fabulous team. The doc responded immediately, EMS was superb  our patient was calm. I had to chart without my glasses(I couldn't find them) and one of my patients offered me his reading glasses -sweet man.
All patients were  concerned and put their own needs aside for the 30 minutes it took to transfer our patient out.

What happened?  
I do not work in an acute care hospital anymore. While we do have doctors on-call we do not on the weekends, evenings or overnight have medical staff  on-site. We make the decisions, we assess, then dear God we make magic happen.

Believe in the power of teamwork.
Believe that when you or someone you know or a total stranger or someone who has never ever had chest pain or no cardiac history rubs their chest, is pale or gray in colour, diaphoretic (sweating) weak and "says I don't feel good" BELIEVE THEM


assess        action         call 911        take charge        oxygen           care         reassure  


of course we used oxygen and did an ECG  (and a bunch of other nursing stuff)
but I'll tell you seeing the tree-top high,Tombstone style S-T segments almost made us shit-bricks.  sorry not couth,cry, but we didn't, we acted
we did what had to be done.
The outcome was that our patient needed two STENTS inserted into coronary arteries. One artery was 100% blocked the other only slightly less.   No previous history.(but a strong sibling history) Almost no heart damage.I have heard he is doing well.

Oh dear God, if you hear me. THANK-YOU. for him, for me, for his family.

 Our Regional Cardiac Centre with a 24/7 Cardiac Catheterization Lab is a less than  7.5 miles away. I surely hope all vehicles moved over to the side to allow EMS to pass . (something to remember as a driver)                    please move over


 
FYI
  
 
FROM THE  American Heart Association        
guidelines for UA/NSTEMI=
 (Unstable Angina/Non-S-T elevation myocardial infarction

"several factors are associated with a high likelihood that symptoms represent ischemic acute coronary syndrome. Most important among them are chest or left arm pain or discomfort that reproduces the patient’s prior documented angina, a known history of coronary disease or MI, evidence of heart failure on physical examination, ST-segment or T-wave changes on ECG, or elevated cardiac biomarkers. An intermediate likelihood can be predicted by age over 70 years, male sex, and diabetes or by evidence of extracardiac vascular disease on physical examination or ECG abnormalities not documented to be new. Thus, the clinical history is critical in the initial evaluation of patients with possible acute coronary syndromes to discriminate patients with true ischemic symptoms from those with non-cardiac chest pain."

Ischemia: Inadequate blood supply to a local area due to blockage of blood vessels leading to that area.


Please learn CPR  and  how to use the AED

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment